Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Name Game

There was a very interesting article in Newsweek yesterday about names. Apparently, we sub-consciously make decisions based on the first letter of our name. For example, people choose cars, places to live, and even spouses that share the same first letter as their name. The article goes on to say that it can even determine your grades in school. People whose names begin with A or B do better in school than those whose names begin with C or D. The researchers also studied undesirable results, and found that, in baseball, if your first name or last name starts with "K," statistics show that you are more likely to strike out than those whose names don't start with "K."

The article got me thinking...I went to Wethersfield High School, and Western Illinois University, I live in a white house in Fort Wayne...

However, I tend to be a realistic person, so, although this was an interesting read, I think I'll chalk it all up to coincidence. What are your thoughts? Do you have any strange coincidences about your name you'd like to share?

8 comments:

Heather said...

Hmmmm....interesting.
I married a P and then (accidentally) named our first child with an H first name and a P middle name.

Mandy said...

Wow Whitney...that's Weird.

Brian, Melanie, Kaelyn, Gretchen, and Sophie said...

I don't know . . . although, all of the middle names we picked for any daughters that we might have all begin with "M" -- Marjorie, Margaret, and Madeline. And, I call Kaelyn "Margie" more often than I call her Kaelyn. Maybe I have a thing for M names . . .

Steve said...

Well, I live on Florida in Fort Wayne and I love French Fries - and Fish! Maybe it is more than a coinkydink.

Ian said...

I'm not sure what Steve is getting at, since his name doesn't start with F. Did he get Fs in school?

I think it might be possible that some of that stuff is true, but maybe just for people who are already predisposed to be susceptible to the power of suggestion. Neither of my kids have the same initial as me or Jen, though one of my cats is an I name.

Steve said...

I wasn't getting at anything. Just be ing silly - hey, there's an S word for ya. Otherwise,I have no special S connections :(

Jen said...

OK, this doesn't exactly fit the pattern, but my sister and I both married men who are in the same professions we're in, and whose first names both have two syllables which start with vowels. Both of their last names have 3 syllables and begin with an M and end with a Y.

They have two boys. We have two girls.

Kris said...

well, in reference to the baseball statistics...I played softball when I was in grade school, and my family played baseball at the lake every weekend in the summer...I was officially known as the Strike Out Queen.