"You have to go to Coney Island," they said. "It's, like, a famous place in Fort Wayne."
Ever since I started working here, Amy and Melanie have been pressuring me to try a coney dog from Coney Island. I had never experienced a coney dog before, but they said I had to try it because it is a favorite among the locals.
So we went to Coney Island for lunch. All I can say is, "thank God for Melanie." She snapped into Mom mode and ordered for me, as I was stunned speechless at having just walked through the kitchen through a "shady" back door. I was still taking it all in when I heard this "two and a coke" nonsense. I didn't understand, but apparently that's standard "coney dog speak." Our waiter (is he called a waiter when the back of his shirt says something about having toasted buns?) was gone before I even knew what had happened. When our coney dogs arrived, I was sent into shock yet again after seeing the massive pile of onions on top. I mean really people, who needs that many onions!
Overall, it was an interesting experience. The coney dogs were good, once I actually scraped off enough of the onions to see my hot dog. My hands smelled like onions for the rest of the day, even after repeated washings. Actually, by the sixth washing it felt more like I was scrubbing the skin off my hands. But it was all in the name of Coney Island, and I can now call myself a true Fort Wayne-ian? Fort Wayne-ite? Fort Wayne-er?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I wouldn't really call it pressure -- more like intense suggesting. You have to admit, even if not in your blog, that it was an awesome experience. Especially since you are a true Fort Wayne-ite!
I know, I know. It was good. Are you happy now?
So is it only the downtown Coney place that counts, or can you go to a different one?
Downtown Coney Island is the ultimate and best coney dog place (in my humble opinion). The others just don't live up to it. Plus, the experience is half the fun.
Oh, and Whitney - their buns are steamed, not toasted. Get it right, GOSH! (I still don't get what's so great about that movie.)
Downtown Coney Island is the one and only; it's true. I eat meat very rarely, but had to get one of these over the summer since it had been years. Of course, I get them with no onions!
Post a Comment